Tiles of Minnesota
"Legacy of Tiles"
Historic Tile Sites
Terra Cotta Sites
Restaurants with Tile
Tiles of the Twin Ports
Historic and Contemporary map of tiles of the Twin Ports Duluth MN and Superior WI is available!
Places you can purchase the maps
Coppola Art Imports
The Tweed Museum
Blue Iris Gallery
American Swedish Institute
Clay Squared to Infinity
Support the people who support the HTA
What's in it for me?
Duluth Minnesota and Superior Wisconsin Terra Cotta Sites
T1 - Rose Hotel Superior Map
1715 Winter St., Superior, WI 54880
Granite colored terra cotta on second floor.
T2 - Twin Ports Brewery Superior Map
1623 Broadway, Superior, WI 54880
Creamy terra cotta decorates the Russell Creamery Building. Check out the inside too. When the creamery was in operation yellow glazed walls and big red floor tiles made cleaning easy.
T3 - Old Woolworth Building Superior Map
1201 Tower Ave., Superior, WI 54880 American Terra Cotta Company white facade and cornice. With Xs and diamonds. J.O. Bach, Architect 1928.
T4 - Fabric Works - Old Crawford Building Superior Map
1320 Tower Ave., Superior, WI 54880 Former Averbrook Drugstore and soda fountain decorated with white terra-cotta eagles and grotesques on second floor. Architect J. O. Bach of Superior, WI. 1928. Tile from American Terra Cotta Company.
T5 - Berthaiume's Grocery - Window Shop Superior Map
1417 Tower Ave., Superior, WI 54880 Built in 1931 by Leone Frantsen. Bertaiaume's Bros. in 1933. Red brick with white limestone, colored inclusions and cap on cornice with ornate medallion at top.
T6 - Folsom-Washington Block - Old Social Security Office Superior Map
1517 Tower Ave., Superior, WI 54880
Land River Improvement Company built the Washington block building in 1891. Light colored La Salle brick and cream colored terra-cotta
trimmings around window.
T7 - Loring Terrace Apartments Superior Map
1602 Ogden Ave., Superior,WI 54880
Apartment building ornament.
T8 - Bedrock Bar - Minnesota Tea Company Building
West Duluth Map
2023 Superior St., W. Duluth, MN 55806
Built in 1898 the Old Minnesota Tea Company building was remodeled in 1922. White dentils, blocks, and vases with vines and flowers.
T9 - Apartment
305 South 21st. Ave., East Duluth MN 55812
Apartment building ornament.
T10 - Old Duluth Armory East Duluth Map
1305 London Road, Duluth, MN 54812
Terra Cotta. Current redevelopment proposed for performing arts center and hotel. Architects, Clyde W. Kelly & Owen J. Williams of Duluth, 1915.
T11 - Apartment East Duluth Map
102 S. 14th Ave. East Duluth, MN 55812
Apartment building ornament.
T12 - Oriental Grocery Downtown Duluth Map
323 E. Superior St., Duluth, MN 55802
Most recently the Oriental Grocery, the Parker's Millinery building was designed by Arch. F.L.Young in 1900. The off-white terra-cotta details mark the second floor and surround the windows with garlands and bed and reel molding. Three decorative plaques between acanthus leaf brackets for the cornice. National Register of Historical Places.
T14 - Hotel Duluth - Greysolon Plaza Downtown Duluth Map
219-231 East Superior St., Duluth, MN 55802
The Greysolon is now a residence, so stop at the manager's office or call 218-722-7523.
The Hotel Duluth provided visitors with an elegant stay in Duluth. The building is decorated by the American Terra Cotta Company. The four lower floors of cream colored terra cotta with Tudor roses, lions' heads, urns, and ram's heads circling the 12th floor. Italian mosaic floor on the Mezzanine and a glorious tiled Ladies Restroom with lounging figures on the Ballroom level. Look for the water fountain by the elevators depicting the Minnesota State Seal. The building still hosts many celebrations and the lobby has been beautifully restored. Arch. Martin Tullgren, Milwaukee in 1925.
T15 - Renegade Theater - Old County Health Department Downtown Duluth Map
222 E. Superior St., Duluth, MN 55802. The Rockhill Buick Company. Built in 1928, the terra-cotta façade was typical of car dealerships at the time. Intricate shields, torches, heraldic dragons, and griffins.
T16 - Norshor Theater Downtown Duluth Map
207 E. Superior, Duluth, MN 55802
This Art Deco theater was built in 1940 by Liedenberg and Kaplan, theater architects from Minneapolis, and is clad in cream colored terra cotta. The older Orpheum theater around the corner was included in their design.
T17 - Orpheum Theater Building East Duluth Map
8 Second Ave., East Duluth, MN 55802 Vaudeville kept this theater busy from 1910, when it was built, until 1925. It sat empty until incorporated into the Norshor theater in 1940. The dark textured brick façade has tall columns, capitals, roofline and a theatrical face medallion at the top made of white terra cotta.
T18 - Old Duluth City Hall and Jail Downtown Duluth Map
126 -132 East Superior, Duluth, MN 55802
The Old Duluth City Hall was built in 1889; the police station in 1891. Great Northern Music and Art Options currently inhabit the ground floor. A small unglazed terra-cotta shield is near the top of the City Hall's gable. Three inserts of terra cotta are inset above the bay windows of the old police station, the middle one with a star and "Duluth No. 1 Police" molded into it. Restored in 1968. Oliver Traphagen, Architect.
T19 - Shel-Don Building Downtown Duluth Map
124 East Superior St., Duluth, MN 55802
The facade of the old Service Motor Company, Drivers' Union Hall was built in 1909 and designed by Arch. Frederick German and A. Werner Lignell. Green backgrounds behind strings of creamy vines surround the windows and doors. Shield and pendant floral designs with wrapped leaves at the top of the columns between windows. Tile floor under present wood floor has "Ford" design. Nice green mosaic tile entry on second floor.
T20 - Allworth Building & Lonsdale Building
Downtown Duluth Map
302 West Superior St. Duluth, MN 55802
A 1909 yellow brick and white terra cotta, 16-story building designed by Daniel Burnham, the Allworth building has big oval windows surrounded by garlands topped with lions' heads, darts and eggs, and cornice decorations. The Lonsdale building adjoining it is red brick with red terra-cotta garlands, lintels, and top cornice replicating rusticated masonry. This was a 5-story building that had three more stories added in 1906. At that time the 5th story façade was moved to the top. Architect Palmer, Hall and Hunt, 1895
T21 - Cosmetology Building
Downtown Duluth Map
121 East Superior St., Duluth MN 55802 polychrome Art Deco terra-cotta facade on second floor. John Leborius, 1926.
T22 - Weiland Block Downtown Duluth Map
26 E. Superior St., Duluth, MN 55802
The 1870 historic Weiland Block-Schwerdt Renaissance Revival building began as a furniture store. Home to the Duluth News Tribune from 1901 to 1930 and remodeled in 1906 and 1923. The building has many small ornaments of red terra cotta. This block is currently being redeveloped. Oliver Traphagen, Architect. National Registry of Historical Places.
T23 - ZLB Plasma Service Building Downtown Duluth Map
11 West Superior St. Duluth, MN 55802
Silberstein and Bondy Dry Goods Company, built by Hungarian immigrants Bernie and Nettie Silberstein in 1884, was a department store until 1983. It was originally a redstone and brick Victorian (altered in 1902 by adding a floor) and was covered with terra cotta by architects Giliuson, Ellingsen and Erickson in 1925. Original architect, George Wirth.
T24 - Global Village Building Downtown Duluth Map
25 West Superior St., Duluth MN 55802
J. C. Schobes Bakery, built 1894, architects Wangenstein & Baillie (many later remodelings). Scalloped ornaments over windows.
T25 - Gopher Shoe Repair Downtown Duluth Map
18 N. Ave. West Duluth, MN 55802 The old Clark Shoe Company was built in 1925. Architect unknown. White glazed store front.
T26 - Western Bank Building Downtown Duluth Map
202 W. Superior St. Duluth, MN 55802
Terra-cotta cornice and ornaments.
T27 - Izzy's Shoes Downtown Duluth Map
123 West Superior St. Duluth, MN 55802
3-story building with white terra-cotta façade. Square tiles, garlands and plaques at top, holding up cornice.
T28 - Bagleys Downtown Duluth Map
315 W. Superior St., Duluth, MN 54880
Colored tiles in bands around upstairs windows.
Built in 1900 with many remodels since.
T29 - Grandma's Restaurant Downtown Duluth Map
522 Lake Ave., Duluth, MN 55802 Terra-cotta elements imbedded in wall of restaurant.
T30 - Palucci Building Downtown Duluth Map
525 South Lake Ave., Duluth, MN 55802 George Washington medallions on face of building. Gowan, Lenning and Brown Building, built 1915, Architect, Frederick German.
T31 - St. Louis County Jail Downtown Duluth Map
Civic Center Duluth, MN 55802
Architect, Holstead and Sullivan, 1923. American Terra Cotta Company.
T32 - St. Louis County Courthouse Downtown Duluth Map
411 W. Fourth St., MN 55802
Replacement pieces on Renaissance Revival federal building, 1963. Original order from American Terra Cotta Company, 1909. Daniel Burnham, Architect.
T33 - Missabe Building Downtown Duluth Map
2nd St. West and 2nd Ave., Duluth, MN 55802 Renaissance Revival building built in 1902 and designed by Architect Wangenstein.
T34 - Crawford Funeral Home Downtown Duluth Map
131 West 2nd St., Duluth, MN 55802
Designed by Carl Nystrom and built in 1922 as the Crawford Funeral Home, but recently sold. Mosaic entry floor and red tiles with small 2" square borders on porch. Fireplaces with multicolored matte tiles. Corinthian columns and portico, doorway with "CF" in elaborate white glazed terra cotta.
T35 - Apartment Downtown Duluth Map
128 W. 4th St., Duluth, MN 55802 Apartment building ornament.
T36 - Spina Building Downtown Duluth Map
2 West 1st St., Duluth, MN 55802
Architect Anthony Puck, 1912. Built by Peter Spina of Stephenson, MN to house the H. L. Coffin's Dance Academy, later the Dreamland Ballroom. Terra cotta forms the header of the windows and the mid-line head of the arched windows. A large red and white pendant with green leaves is centered in the capital, under the projecting cornice.
T37 - Arthur's Men's Wear Building Downtown Duluth Map
25 W. 1st St., Duluth, MN 55802 Built in 1916 and originally the Max Bloom Furniture building. Unknown architect. Yellow brick 2-story building with limestone-like terra cotta. Intricate garland plaque above front door. Course of terra cotta marking second story, and ledge with eggs and darts. Small vine motifs, diamonds and crosses at top of front.
T38 - Pawn Shop - Ornament Downtown Duluth Map
701 East 4th St., Duluth, MN 55812 Ornaments on building are unfortunately painted.
T39 - Apartment Downtown Duluth Map
116 E 3rd St., Duluth MN 55802
Apartment buildings with panels over windows.
T40 - Northwestern Bell Building East Duluth Map
1802 East 1st St., Duluth, MN 55812 Terra-cotta cornices and headers.
T41 - Henry H. Myers Home East Duluth Map
2501 East 1st St. Duluth, MN 55812. Not open to the public
Built in 1909 by Bray and Nystrom. Blue-stone home and carriage house are adorned with Winkle Terra Cotta Company. Ledges, roof caps, two faces with grapes. All are glazed to look like pink granite.